Saturday, May 30, 2009

This morning Chris is still fighting his bladder infection and he is on Antibiotics. When I arrived the staff was performing a temporary catheterization to drain and Chris was experiencing severe discomfort.

He received some meds for the pain, which seemed to kick in quickly, because for the next couple of hours, he only opened his eyes a few times and only for a few seconds.

I looked at the chart that the constant care assistants use to document their observations and it appears that Chris still 'sleeps' most of the time.
There are a few incidents marked 'awake but calm' and 'restless but no disruption' but fighting his infection is taking precedent and hopefully he will soon be able to do without any catheters.

Chris still has his small bowel feeding tube (most chemical digestion takes place in the small bowel) and the soft restraint on his frighteningly powerful left arm so that he doesn't yank it out again.

I would have liked to have heard Chris say something but as long as the pain had subsided his Mother and I were relieved. As she adoringly massaged her son's right arm she told me that yesterday morning he had a real rough time.

Chris sometimes awakens to tell her to stop rubbing his right arm..
which he can't move YET but he obviously feels something.

His Mom and I chatted about Chris LOUD ENOUGH FOR HIM TO HEAR EVERYTHING in a thinly veiled attempt to get a response..
nothing but snores, a few quick glances, and back to lalaland.

I am hoping to start posting the observations of his siblings in a few days so that everyone can get as much info as possible. Right now, more waiting to see if the Antibiotics can quickly cancel this urinary tract infection and Chris can get back on track with rehab & physio.

Another well wisher had mentioned something that Chris had recently posted and I thought that I should add it.

Chris had taken this photo and added this lovely sentiment..

14 comments:

mistipurple said...

i guess sleeping helps his system to heal itself too. will continue to pray for him. and you donn, must rest too ya! regards to his family.

anna said...

So you and his mom were trying to get a rise out of him. I'm sensing a little taunting was involved. You're a wonderful friend, Donn. :)

By the way, how is Chris's Father doing?

dmmgmfm said...

You really are a great friend, Donn. I know how hard what you are doing is. I am so thankful he has you and his family for support, despite it all, he's a lucky man.

Hugs,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Hi Donn,

Just wanted to let you know that I found this blog (from Ali) and I'll be reading your updates.
Thinking of you all!

Heather

Inside our hands, outside our hearts said...

I am not sure what to say. I am saddened to hear of his setback, but delighted that he can feel someting when it comes to his right arm. I know inside him he can feel us all hoping, praying, and wishing him back to good health. I am equally sure that he must be screaming inside in frustration that things are not working how they should or at the very least, how he wants them to. However, babysteps dear Chris, we all would rather baby steps in your healing process, rather than giant ones that are offset by setbacks. My love and prays beautiful man.

Soft love,
T

By the way, I was also wondering how Chris' dad is doing?

Zig said...

Just back in the country - thanks for the link - will be checking!
Lx

savannah said...

xoxoxo for all y'all, sugar.

(miss daisy will light a candle at mass tomorrow.)

eroswings said...

I'm glad to hear that he is feeling some stimuli. Hopefully, when his infection subsides and he becomes more lucid, he'll stop pulling out his lines so they won't have to restrain him. I'm guessing it's either that or sticking him all over again.

I'm hoping for the best. Thanks for the updates, Donn. You are a true gentleman, an extraordinary friend, and a strong and kind individual. We should all be so lucky to have a friend like you in our lives. We are so very lucky to have you update us on WW. We miss him a lot.

gautami tripathy said...

Summer and sunshine will be there in no time. Just you see!

mistipurple said...

with so much love going on, chris will be well.

The Mistress said...

I like the teenage Chris & Donn pic you've added to the photo sidebar.

dmmgmfm said...

I hope things are going better for Chris...I look forward to your updates.

Please give him my best.

The Mistress said...

Oops, my mistake.

That's college era Chris and Donn, not teenage.

AngelConradie said...

Aah, so he's just waiting for summer now is he!?!?? Bloody cheek!
I spose sleeping is good if he's still fighting an infection?
Thank you again Donn, and give my love the Chris.